Wicker offers a timeless elegance that’s as beautiful on your patio as inside your home.
There are many options for patio furniture materials. Wicker outdoor furniture is the most popular. It’s believed that the use of wicker dates back to ancient Egypt circa 3000 B.C. It became more popular during the Victorian Era in the 19th century, when it was considered more sanitary than upholstered furnishings.
Throughout the ages, it’s been used to construct a wide variety of furniture, including:
- Storage Shelves
- Plant Stands
Wicker is not a material
It is believed that wicker is a material for patio furniture. Most commonly, it’s believed this material is the rattan plant. This makes sense as rattan is used to make wicker furniture.
However, ‘wicker,’ in fact, refers to a style of weaving used in building furniture. Wicker patio furniture is made from any flexible material that can be woven into furniture, regardless of whether it is man-made or not.
These materials have included:
- Plants, especially the rattan plants
- All-Weather Resin
How Wicker Weaving Works
Although the materials used to make wicker furniture may vary, the process is the exact same. The material is woven horizontally using an over-under pattern. This creates a uniform, sturdy piece. This technique can be used whether the designer is creating indoor or exterior furniture.
What is Resin Wicker?
Resin is a man-made synthetic. High Density Polyethylene, or HDPE, is the highest quality resin. HDPE is the best quality resin wicker, as it is furniture made from resin.
HDPE resin wicker is dyed in the manufacturing process. It is nonporous and nonporous. It is also treated with ultraviolet light to preserve its tone for many years.
Resin wicker doesn’t mold or root. So even though your resin wicker outdoor furniture may be exposed to the damp, wet climate we have here in the Seattle area, it won’t be infested by bugs or overtaken by mildew.
Top 5 Benefits of Resin Wicker Patio Furniture
All-weather resin wicker is a great combination of classic style and durability in the PNW. Let’s break it down:
- Lightweight: The woven design means it’s lighter than similarly sized counterparts, allowing you to reposition it easily.
- Comfort: All-weather woven Wicker Chairs and Couches are available with plush patio pillows that make them super-comfortable.
- Weather Resistant All-weather Wicker is scientifically engineered to repel mold, rot, insects and other harmful elements. There are very few furniture pieces that can withstand the fall of a tree.
- Chlorine Resistant All-weather wicker does not contain porous materials, which is why it…